The Jules Wijdenbosch Bridge (Jules Wijdenboschbrug) is a bridge over the Suriname River between the Capital City of Suriname, Paramaribo, and Meerzorg, in the Commewijne District. The bridge is part of the East-West Link, which is a road in Suriname between Albina in the eastern part of the country to Nieuw Nickerie in the western part. Construction of the road link started in the 1960s, and the bridge is named after former president Jules Wijdenbosch. Constructed by Dutch constructor Ballast-Nedam, the bridge has two lanes, is 1504 metres long, and was opened on 20 May 2000. Before that time, people used a ferry to cross the Suriname River.

Photographer  | RAOUL BEHR

Read magazine n° 1